Lighting : February 2014 Lighting (v2-HR)
72 LIGHTING MAGAZINE | February/March 2014 JOHN D SMITH, LFIES 15 November 1925 -- 24 January 2014 John D Smith was a tall man in both physical height and his standing in the Illuminating Engineering Society of Australia and New Zealand. In South Australia and indeed in Australia, he was one of the important leaders in lighting education for many years. In the early 1960s he established the first year of a two-year lighting course at Kilkenny Technical College for evening classes with a second year starting in 1963. This was some time after the late W.A. (Bill) Nicholls and the late Stuart Lay started the first South Australian short term lighting courses in 1953 and 1954 at the SA School of Mines before Stuart Lay returned to his Department of Labour and National Service position in Sydney. John preceded the highly respected Deane Le Cornu (dec) and Geoff Smith as lighting lecturers at Kilkenny. In creating the course, John sought the help and advice from the national lighting expert, Dr Albert Dresler (1904- 1963), who had developed the highly successful and approved lighting course at RMIT in Melbourne. John received high praise from Dr Dresler for his Kilkenny course. John was born in Adelaide the son of Frances and the Rev Norman Smith, a Methodist minister. He grew up in country Victoria, attended Wesley College in Melbourne, completed an electrical mechanics apprenticeship in 1946 and held various jobs in the high country of Victoria travelling around on his motor bike before an accident befell him. His father obtained a church in Adelaide and the family moved back to Adelaide in 1950. John then worked for several years at British General Electric (BGE) where he met his future wife, Joyce, in 1951. They married her in 1953. They then moved to Port Pirie where John taught six different trades courses for three years before moving back to Hawthorn in Adelaide in 1960 to the Electrical Trades School. Their daughter, Jo, was born in 1960. John completed his Teaching Diploma, Technical, in 1974 and a Bachelor of Education in 1982. A very important part of John's life was his Christian faith. He loved helping people. He belonged to the Gideons and was a lay preacher in the Anglican church and conducted services at the Julia Farr Centre (Home for Incurables) and War Veterans Homes. He belonged to Rostrum, was a Justice of the Peace and surprised many by being a member of Mensa. John was elected President of the then IES (South Australia) for 1970-71 and was an IES National Councillor representing South Australia for several years. He became Convener of the National IES Education Committee and used his Kilkenny course as the model for the approved Australia lighting course. John also joined the IES of North America and became involved in their lighting education discussions. While at Kilkenny TAFE, John developed a lighting laboratory for demonstrations and experimental lighting activities and also a museum of historical lighting items. These were continued by others at Regency College of TAFE. One of John's favourite objects was an ancient Jericho clay Roman oil wick lamp. Later, John was appointed Lecturer in Building Science at the Louis Laybourne Smith School of Architecture, South Australian Institute of Technology. John was always very proud of his lighting education achievements and many ex-students in lighting and architecture will long remember him. The SA IES Chapter's annual prize for the top lighting student is named after him. He was made a Life Fellow of the Illuminating Engineering Society of Australia and New Zealand in 2002. His health declined after retirement and was never as happy as when he was teaching lighting to students. John is survived by Joyce and Jo. He was a truly dedicated person and we shall miss you John. -- J Derrick Kendrick John Smith in 2006 (left) and his treasured Roman oil lamp from Jericho.
April May 2013
Lighting April 2014 - Vol 34 Issue 2